Should you have a dash camera on your car?rowayne
Having a dash cam on your vehicle does not make you paranoid. Or does it? Maybe. No. Yes. Are we getting paranoid now? Yes!
The public has always had a confused and cluttered opinion of dash camera necessity. Those who do have a dash camera installed deny their paranoia and vouch for their importance. Those who do not have a dash camera often believe it is a waste of money and only for the most paranoid people of society.
These thoughts typically originate from the belief that dash cams are purely for capturing car crashes and proving fault or innocence. Dash cams record every detail that takes place both on the road and inside the vehicle, meaning they are strong evidence for defending yourself in the case of a questionable car crash.
However, dash cameras are used for many other purposes than just car crashes. There are various reasons to install a dash cam on your vehicle:
- Track where you have been and replay driving footage.
- Remember where you parked your vehicle.
- Capture bold four wheel driving adventures and off-roading experiences.
- Prove fault in the case of a car accident.
- Prove innocence if falsely reported by police or authorities.
What can dash cams do?
There are hundreds of thousands of drivers in Australia that use a dash cam on a daily basis. Different brands and models of dash cams will be capable of different things. Generally, all dash cams will be able to record your driving from the front of your vehicle and give you the opportunity to playback any footage.
Some crash cameras will also be able to record while the vehicle is not turned on. The most popular dash cams have unique features, such as Wi-Fi connection and GPS tracking, to provide a comprehensive driving assistant.
How much do dash cameras cost?
People who are weighing up whether or not to purchase a crash camera will definitely consider their price. The best way to evaluate the cost of a dash cam is to search online car accessory stores and aftermarket vehicle sellers. In most cases, what you pay for is what you get. However, you should be wary of some sellers that will charge you more than what the camera is actually worth. Shop around!
While expensive dash cams may offer more features and enhanced functionality, there are cheap dash cams available in Australia that still provide all of the recording ability that you require. Some purchasers will start with a low-end dash cam and eventually upgrade to a high-end crash cam once they are convinced of its value.
What is the best crash cam available in Australia?
As vehicle accessory experts, we have a strong opinion on the best dash cameras currently available on the market. Our top pick of the bunch is the renowned Blackvue variety of dash cams. Within the Blackvue range includes the Blackvue DR900S, Blackvue DR750S and Blackvue DR650S.
Undeniably, the leading camera candidate among the group is the DR900S with reliable 4K high definition camera, GPS and Wi-Fi. The camera also encompasses a motion sensor that works whilst driving and when parked. When looking for a high-end dash cam with ample features, this is an idyllic option. For those who are on a tight budget, the DR650S may be a cheap dash cam option that is more suitable.
Important things to consider before purchasing a dash cam.
Before you go ahead and make a purchase, you should consider whether that particular dash cam brand is appropriate for you. Not all dash cameras are created in the same way, so some styles will not match your car or provide the features that you require. Always ask the following questions before adding anything to your shopping cart:
- Is the camera suited to your make and model of vehicle?
- Does the camera need to be charged, and do you have the correct tools for charging it?
- Do you require a front camera and rear camera, and does your chosen dash cam offer this?
- Will you feel confident installing the camera yourself?
- If you plan on off-roading, will the camera be sturdy enough to withstand bumps and movement?
- Is the camera within your budget?
- Can the camera be delivered on time to your home?
- Do you want to view the camera footage on your smart phone via Wi-Fi, and does the camera have this feature?
- Are you relying on the camera to track your location, and does it have GPS functionality?
If you are unsure about what dash cam is best for you, you can get in touch with one of our MYTUFF4X4 sales consultants and discuss your options. Alternatively, you can browse our online four wheel driving store to see our range of products.